All They Need is Air!

My little air plant in its home of sea glass in a shooter glass.
The little statue next to it is from Thailand.

On Easter Weekend my son and his girlfriend came to visit and when they left I found this little plant in my bathroom. I immediately new where it came from since I had been admiring these delightful little plants, that just "sat around" requiring no soil what so ever, at a local garden center with my weekend guests. It is now part of my kitchen table decor since that is where we and our guests tend to congregate and it is a great source of conversation.
Upon further research I discovered that these little wonders of the plant world are actually called Tillandsia. Some sources recommend immersing them in water once a week, while others advocate a bit of misting now and again with a spray bottle. It seems that their care depends on the local humidity and conditions in which they live. I didn't do anything to mine in over three weeks and it seemed to be fine, although yesterday I did give it a brief "bath" ..... still looks good! I think these little cuties would be the perfect gift for a person with a "black thumb" (or - non-green one!).

The photos below are from Dots and Loops, a lovely little store in Lunenburg Nova Scotia that sells a variety of handmade items. The little hanging pods below are a perfect container for air plants and would add a contemporary look to your home decor!

photo from Dots and Loops

photo from Dots and Loops

For more info on air plants check out the BHG website below.

Better Homes and Gardens article on air plants.

Comments

Popular Posts