Considering a Year of Depth

A little watercolour from one of my "new" adventures.

What's New Pussycat?

Since my retirement I have been in search of  new adventures, like spending a week in Spain helping Spaniards improve their English, or doing the Camino. I also like to "try" learning new skills, like snowshoeing, kayaking or even paddleboarding. My friends and I are always talking about what's new in fashion trends, the latest book, movie or Neflix series ..... and, of course we all like to get a new recipe ..... not to mention what's new on Pinterest!

Go Deeper, Not Wider!

In a recent CBC interview I learned of a fellow who suggests that instead of constantly seeking out new hobbies, adventures, books etc., we should spend more time perfecting or exploring things we've already started. So, instead of signing up for the latest craft class at Michael's, maybe we should revisit the bag of yarn and knitting needles we already have, or check out the box of books in the basement that may contain a gem that you never finished. David Cain, author of the blog Raptitude , proposes that for a whole year we don't start anything new, or buy any new possessions that we don't absolutely need.

"No new hobbies, equipment, games, or books are allowed during this year. Instead, you have to find the value in what you already own or what you've already started." - David Cain

David Cain points out that we likely have a "wealth" of equipment, books, craft materials etc. already in our homes. We don't have to sign up for a class to use that yoga mat, and, how many times have we actually used the pasta maker in the cupboard above the fridge?

Considering a Year of Depth:

I like this concept! My practical nature is urging me to embrace it. Think of the money I would save by devoting my free time (and I have a lot of it!) to using up the drawing paper, watercolours, felting materials, and sewing fabric I already have. In my garden I could use only the seeds I collected from last year, and divide perennials to enhance my flower beds or put in pots, as opposed to buying new ones. I haven't read all the books in the library yet, so no need to purchase a book! I'm already a gym member and there are more classes and equipment that I could take advantage of. And Lord knows I don't need a single article of clothing for at least a year!

The big question is: Can I get inspired by revisiting my felting stuff or getting out my water colours? Do I really want to do the spin class at the gym? Will I be happy wearing the same old stuff in my closet?

I'm not making any promises. However, I will keep this "deeper" concept in mind and will start with one small thing. I have a watercolour book that I started using last summer with lots of blank pages in it. I promise  hope to complete it by Easter. How's that for a start to going deeper?


                           

Comments

  1. lovely idea, one that we all could put into use......I saw some of those nice red casserole dishes on sale, i wanted them but did not need them, so i forced myself to leave them at the store.....now if i could just skip the book isle at Costco.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts