Here's the Deal on Solomon's Seal



It wasn't until recently that I discovered this elegant plant with arching stems that carry a neat row of leaves on one side and a strand of tiny white flowers on the other. I think it first caught my attention when I was on a road trip to Nova Scotia and recently I spied it in my friend, Diane's, "cottage garden". Its name is Solomon's Seal and my friend generously offered to hack me off a piece.

So here's the deal on Solomon's Seal and why I want it in my garden:

While it does not contribute a lot of colour, Solomon's Seal's unique foliage adds structure and interest to the garden. It appeals to me because it loves shade and is deer resistant! (Well, time will tell on that one.) The plant reminds me of lily of the valley and as it happens it is actually part of that plant family. Solomon's Seal got its name from the scars on its roots that appear when a stem breaks off and resembles the Hebrew symbol of King Solomon. I will check that out when my wee plants get a bit bigger. According to my research, this shade garden gem is very easy to grow and maintain. Check out the link below for more info.

BHG site on Solomon's Seal care


Here is one of my new Solomon's Seal transplants, directly below the chair. I am hoping that it will eventually be a main feature among the Astilbes, Bleeding Hearts and Impatients in my shade garden. Thanks Diane!

Comments

Popular Posts