Happy Canada Day 2018!


Without giving away my age, let me say that I have celebrated Canada Day for MANY years. I've spent July 1st in a campground with the kids (rain or shine!), socializing at our neighbors' annual riverside party, viewing fireworks at dusk, or simply enjoying a "cool one" in the back yard. But this is the first time I've spent Canada Day kayaking down a river and I highly recommend it!


Encouraged by a group of friends, who have done this before, my friend Nancy and I dug out our life jackets and borrowed kayaks. On a beautiful, warm afternoon we launched our vessels in the Hammond River along with two other couples in their canoes. As soon as we hit the unusually high water, we were whisked away by the current …. no paddling required! Our canoe friends, being slightly heavier vessels, took a little longer to catch up. The theme of the day was simply ...  go with the flow!







Nancy in her kayak

Richard & Juliette (left), Dan & Cathy (right)

Our leisurely float was not without its mishaps. A gust of wind took away my hat as well as my friend Cathy's (far right in above photo). I was able to retrieve mine, but alas, after much effort, especially by Nancy, Cathy's lovely red Canada Day hat was lost at sea (or in this case the river). I suspect some lucky fish is now proudly Canadian!

Cathy in her lovely Canada Day attire!

Time for a snack and a swim!

After all that excitement we needed a rest. How lovely to shore up on a little riverside beach to enjoy a little snack and a wee sip …. no crowds, just a few locals like us here and there!



Maybe next time I will try a floaty. These passersby sure are enjoying their day!


Comments

Popular Posts