Musquash Paddle


Adventures on the  High Sea  Estuary!

Last Saturday two friends and I, and about 35 other people, completed the annual Musquash Paddle. This event, organized by the Fundy Baykeepers and the Conservation Council of New Brunswick, took a group of experienced and novice paddlers through the Musquash Estuary for 6 km to our destination at Five Fathom Hole. 

Cathy and Nancy putting in!

The weather was perfect -  sunny, not too hot, with a little breeze. We "put in" our kayaks easily and once our large group was assembled we set off on our cruise. 


As we waited for all our fellow "paddling enthusiasts" to assemble and make our way under the bridge  (most of us had to duck!) and on toward the ocean, we had time to check out the variety of vessels around us. One kayak that really impressed me was a very small blue one (see above photo). The woman who owned it transported it easily in the back of her car and told me that because it is so easy to take, she uses it often. Although it was very small, it suited her fine and she was a very tall lady! ….. pop it in my car / carry it easily / handles well in the water …. sounds good to me!

Onward and Forward!



For the next two hours we made our way through the estuary. It was a steady paddle with nowhere to stop along the way... no sandy beaches to pull up on for a little stretch and rest. The outgoing tide helped a bit to draw us toward the sea, but I found myself stuck in a few reed patches a few times as under currents drew my kayak in a sideways direction. 
But … as they say, "slow and steady wins the race" and by the time we reached our destination we had enjoyed lots of wonderful scenery, sunshine and sea air!

Ahoy! Five Fathom Hole Ahead.


As we approached the dock (all 35 of us!) we formed a very civilized queue. It reminded me of a line up for the "John" …. and I think that after 2 hours that was likely the case! I was dreading the process of my stiff legs transporting my heavy butt on to the dock without tipping the kayak. However, Fundy Baykeepers to the rescue! The wonderful organizers of this expedition were there to help us out of our kayaks AND they carried them up the ramp to the main dock for us. How great was that?


All in all it was a great day on the estuary!

Musquash Estuary from Fundy Baykeepers
 https://www.conservationcouncil.ca/en/our-programs/fundy-baykeeper/

Comments

Popular Posts