Heating Up in Dhaka!

Well it's heating up in Dhaka in more ways than one! The political situation is HOT and my classroom is HOT!

 Four out of five days this week have been hartals (general strikes often accompanied by violence). The situation is becoming more and more complicated .... if you are interested you can check out the link below. During these "hartals" our school stays open but many students do not come to school because they live outside the diplomatic area and it may not be safe for them. Our van drives us back and forth to school. It seems quite safe in our area but there have been "incidents" so we are always cautions.

 bd 24 news 


AND ....as I said, my classroom is HOT!
As you can see by the photo my room has lots of windows. In fact two of the four walls are floor to ceiling windows (nice when the weather is cool). I've been trying to cover every inch with art work to block the sun in hope of deflecting some heat. In the morning when the power is on my room is not bad. However in the afternoon when the temperature heats up to highs of 38 or 40 and when there is no power for the AC, my room is like an oven! Today I had to take the kids out to the library because it was unbearable ... one of the grade two's said "you could cook a chicken in there". Our generator is supposed to kick in when the power goes out but it has been overheating and leaving us without power for longer blocks of time. I wonder if it's too late to ask Santa for a new generator ..... or at least some cool air from the North Pole!

Comments

Popular Posts