Green Curry with K---- Lime leaves

pic from Wikipedia


I absolutely LOVE Thai Green Curry! When I was in Thailand I rarely branched out to try other dishes because once I saw this on the menu, I had to have it. I couldn't get enough of it! Upon my return to Canada I thought about making it. I mean, if I love it so much, why not perfect it and make it "my special dish"? The simple answer is that, due to the large number of specific ingredients (that are not always easy to find here in Canada) it's just not worth the effort. Galangal, tiny eggplants, and Kaffir lime leaves are not exactly easy to come by and substitutions, I don't believe, hold up to the taste. ..... oops! I just said.... "Kaffir" lime leaves ..... so sorry to those who I have offended! I just discovered that the "K" word (kaffir) is actually a racial slur, similar to the "N" word that North Americans are familiar with. Apparently the better choice of term for these, (essential to green curry, in my opinion) Asian leaves is "Makrut" lime leaves.
So, the "moral" of the Green Curry story is:

  • don't bother making you're own green curry .... it won't taste as good as the stuff in Thailand
  • if you have a "hankering" for Thai Green Curry .... find a restaurant or take out that makes a good one
  • if you must make it yourself .... use Makrut lime leaves, not K ..... lime leaves!
Hubby enjoying a delicious meal in Thailand



CBC article and video

Green Curry Recipe  - check out the multitude of ingredients!

Ethnic foods can be found in all kinds of places, like local farmers's markets! I had a great Green Curry at our nearby Kingston Market the other day! Yum Yum!


Comments

Popular Posts