GET OUT OF MY GYM!

Frame 1: Peter's Gym, Open until Feb. 1st. Frame 2: What happens after Feb.1st? Frame 3: It converts back to Peter's Bar and Cheesecake Emporium.

I know this poor photo of the B.C. comic strip is hard to read, but it sums up my sentiments about the predicable crowds at "my" gym after the Christmas holidays. So here's my rant: I go to the gym on a regular basis all year long and it irks me when "my" space is invaded for the month of January by enthusiastic weight loss seekers who, by February rarely darken the doors of "my" gym.

This morning, at "my" gym, I was doing my usual 30 minutes of cardio and watching Canada AM, as "usual". A fitness expert was discussing the pros and cons of joining a gym, an appropriate topic for January 2nd. She pointed out that while gyms are great, they are not for everyone and I agree. However, the gym works for me and here's why:


  • The gym allows me to exercise whenever I want, no matter what the weather is like. Walking and hiking outdoors is great, but I do not like to be outside in the rain or snow, or when it is too hot, or when there are icy roads and walkways. Winter weather would be a serious deterrent if walking or jogging was my exercise of choice.
  • Dogs!!! I like dogs, but when I encounter one on a walk my heart is in my throat and I doubt that the anxiety contributes to my health.
  • Variety is the key. At my age, I need cardiovascular activity, but I also need to do some work with weights for my bone density issues. I also find great benefit from the various stretching exercises I like to do on mats and if it want to really step it up, I participate in a class that includes yoga, and other techniques. There are many options from specific weight training classes to access to a personal trainer.
  • Convenience. I can attend the gym any time of day and it is about a five minute drive from my house. I can also shower there if I want to (and I have). They have hair dryers, great mirrors etc.
  • The cost is reasonable. I pay about $45.00 a month and it comes directly out of my bank account ... I don't even notice it!
So, I guess this is my "pitch" for the gym. It works for me. I go every morning during the week and on the days that I work (usually 2 days a week) I go in the evening. I don't think about whether or not I "feel like it" I just go. It's like brushing your teeth, a matter of routine. I don't obsess about it either. If something comes up, I can miss a day, or if I'm away that's okay. .... I just resume when I return. I still like to walk and hike, but only in good weather and with company. 

So  have I convinced you? It doesn't matter .....It works for me! I hope you find what works for for you!

Comments

Popular Posts