My Kind of Spa!

The unpopulated, rugged Bay of Fundy .. I can still smell the ocean!
 
 
 I'm not really a "spa" kinda gal. I've never cared for massages, or facials. I like having my toe nails painted, but not the process of having someone manipulate my feet. The thought of going to a spa and having someone hover around me or (God forbid) touch me, just does not appeal to me. If I lived at Downton Abbey I'd have to fire my "lady's maid"!
However, this weekend my friend Diane invited me to join her and two other friends at a Spa in Chance Harbour on the Bay of Fundy and I was pleasantly surprised!
 
Photo taken from inside the sauna, looking on to the beach.
 

 
When you arrive, at the end of an ordinary road that makes no prediction that any thing spectacular lies ahead, you park your car at the edge of an undeveloped, unpopulated beach on the Fundy Coast.
 
The first thing you notice is a fire pit burning near a rustic, but modern looking building. On the other side of the road is a set of stairs leading up the hill to another building. What you don't see from the road is a huge hot tub, a water fall and a sauna.


Hot tub surrounded by woods and Bay of Fundy views.

After we changed into bathing suits and comfy robes, we hit the steaming hot tub which was more like a small swimming pool. It was a cool rainy April day, but we were cozy and relaxed in the steamy water. After that we cooled off in the ocean air and made our way to the sauna (pic above). After the sauna you are supposed to jump into the bay or immerse yourself in the waterfall, but we did not indulge. A splash of cold water and the cool Fundy air was enough.

A bucket of cold water conveniently located outside the sauna... just pull the yellow cord and yikes!


Midway through our spa afternoon (which only cost $40.00!) we enjoyed our picnic snack of crackers, shrimp, olives, and hummus that we brought as well as a little nip of wine and a brewskie!

The best thing about the whole adventure was that we were totally on our own. No one directing us, invading our space, or (heaven forbid) touching us! (massages etc. were available if your wanted them) We didn't have to buy a $10.00 glass of wine or overpriced appetizer ... we brought our own! How great is that!

During our spa afternoon (from 12 to about 4ish) we only encountered one other person (who was very friendly and informative). Saying that, it was a rainy day ... but what a great way to enjoy the rain, we were wet anyway!

So, I would recommend that if you are looking for a unique spa-like adventure, and you are not too highfalutin, check out the Chance Harbour Spa! My kind of place!

Chance Harbour Spa Facebook Page

Comments

Popular Posts