New Commission

I have a new commission! A friend of mine asked me to do two paintings for her to give as gifts (one for her son's college apartment). She has one that I gave her a few years ago done in the same style.
Basically, I use a canvas to wipe my brushes on "randomly" and then stretch the canvas. From the random splotches I pick out images that they might suggest and then enhance them so that the viewer can see them too. It's kind of like a Rorschach Test. The idea is to create a painting that, at first glance, looks like a rag that you used to clean up a mess, but on the second glance you can see realistic things. Other areas are left to encourage the viewer's own imagination. It makes a great conversation piece ..... well maybe not great but better than nothing!
As you can see in the photo I have already made the stretchers. It has been a while since I've used a saw and hammer! The photo also shows a "brush wiped" canvas waiting to be stretched and, if you look closely, a glass of beer on my art table. I think beer improves your carpentry skills ... right??

Comments

Popular Posts