Canada Day 150!
It was a dark and stormy
I didn't know that:
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau, in his early years, was arrested in Palestine as a suspected Israeli spy!
- John Cabot, who claimed the North Atlantic coast of Canada for Henry VII of England in 1497 was Italian!
- Canada is the second largest country in the world, but only fourth in terms of land mass due to its large number of fresh water lakes.
- Our national anthem, O, Canada, did not become official until 1980.
- Canadians eat more macaroni and cheese than any other country in the world ... who knew?
What I did know was: ..... that the preferred alcoholic beverage of most Canadians is beer (that's a no brainer) and that Canadians often call a sofa, a chesterfield .
We played our little game and had a few laughs. The Trivia Geeks of the night are featured below with their Canadiana prizes.
I also learned, while listening to a playlist of hit music by Canadian artists, that Steppenwolf was Canadian! Guess I wasn't paying attention in the 70's .... okay, I know I wasn't paying attention in the 70's!
So that was our little celebration for Canada Day. However, after our company left and hubby went to bed, I stayed up to watch some of the festivities on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on TV. I enjoy seeing all the dignitaries especially if there are a few "Royals" there. The theme of the event came through loud and clear in all performances and speeches ..... that we as Canadians aspire to have a tolerant, welcoming, and peaceful country. ....... Makes me proud to be Canadian!