Community Garden Check In


Here's my first substantial bouquet with flowers from my community garden plot! The Zinnias and Bachelor Buttons were all grown from seed, the Aster (large pink in the middle) and red & yellow Dahlias (at bottom) were bedding plants. Half of my 4' by 16' plot contains vegetables and the other half is flowers for cutting. While I have made some poor choices for flowers that are good for cutting, it's all part of the learning curve! The Dahlias that I planted were a short variety, not the long stemmed ones that would be better for bouquets. I also grew some Purple Cone Flowers from seed. They are looking very healthy and might eventually be very good for picking, but a woman in a neighboring garden plot, who is very knowledgeable, informed me that they would likely not bloom this year and that they are perennials and would have to be remove at the end of the season. I moved them out to make way for better "pickers" .... as it turns out the Cone Flowers are deer resistant and hopefully will survive in my yard!

Progress Report!



Above on the right is my garden plot May 22nd, 2017 and on the left is the plot July 13th, 2017. Can't see any flowers in the left hand photo you say? That's because I keep them well picked! I am reluctant to pick flowers from my yard and deplete the show, but in the community garden, the whole point is to pick them to enjoy in my house, or a friend's.


At the moment Zinnias, short stemmed Dahlias and Bachelor Buttons are my main harvest. I'm still waiting for the Snap Dragons and Cosmos ....... will keep you posted!

Comments

Popular Posts