Christmas on the Other Side of the World


As I decorate my tree and continue to hide the Christmas baking, I can't help but think about where I was this time last year. Dhaka, Bangladesh! Although I was getting ready for a two week holiday in Thailand, the realities of Dhaka are still vivid in my mind. Recent posts from my former colleagues and friends on Facebook have jolted me into paying attention to what is going on there now (as I bake and decorate!).
This past Thursday, one of the Jamaat-e-Islami leaders was executed in Dhaka for war crimes. I remember well the hartals and unrest that took place last year during the trial of this man. The extremest Jamaat group wreaked much havoc during the proceedings. It affected the students at our school, since many would not come when the violence was taking place. Trouble in the streets also meant that we had to be more vigilant and often confined us to our immediate area. I can only imagine the how the wrath of the Jamaat is disrupting Dhaka these days!
Our local newspaper reported on the "execution" in an article so small you wouldn't even notice it. In Dhaka, however, the incident consumed the news.


A student runs away as from the violence unleashed by Jamaat-e-Islami activists on Friday at Dhaka's Motijheel. Photo: tanvir ahammed/ bdnews24.com  Photo from BDnews24 Dhaka, Bangladesh. A student runs away from the violence created as a result of the recent execution.

If you want some real insight into what's going on in Dhaka, check out Jon Ryan's blog "Sea Salt Nomads". I have it added to my "Great Links" list. I worked with Jon and his wife Dani last year and they are still teaching at CTS in Dhaka.


Jon's blog from Dhaka - "Sea Salt Nomads"

Below is a picture that I took while out shopping in Dhaka. While the traffic is actually quite calm, you can get a sense of what our neighborhood was like .... and that's the diplomatic zone!



Comments

Popular Posts