Fall Leaves, MOOCs and Autism

In spite of the deer there is some beauty left in my yard. The gorgeous golden maple tree is just too high for them to reach. These bright yellow leaves with red stems gave some visual interest to my kitchen table. In this neck of the deer ravaged woods you gotta take it were you can .... or go to a florist!

I am still working on my "on line" course - a "MOOC" they call it. It stands for Massive Open Online Course. Apparently it is the next big thing in education. I am still at the theoretical part at the moment and trying to make sense of it all. If the "theoretical" doesn't soon take a more "practical" twist I may have to bail!

Since I have been on the topic of education in recent conversations, I was introduced to a name that I had never heard of by a friend and fellow educator. Temple Grandin is the name and she is a woman who is autistic and has a PhD in animal science. I assume that my friend had heard of her via recent PD initiatives as she is still in the public education system and autism is a big topic these days. Anyway, when I Googled her I came across a great interview that George Stroumboulopoulos did with her. Well worth viewing! She can also be found on Ted Talks.

Temple Grandin Interview

(I am still working on my painting of the Bangladeshi guy in the fruit stand and I must say that I am getting mighty sick of painting apples and oranges!)

Comments

Popular Posts